Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Steady in a Rocking Boat

“But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, “Lord, save me!” (Matthew 14:30)

What a contrast! I was one of several kids in a small row boat beside the hulking Canadian navel ship in the harbor of my home town. A giant forest fire threatened to burn the whole town . In response , the Canadian government sent the navy ship to be on stand- by in case our whole town needed evacuation. We had rowed out to the ship anchored in the harbor just for some fun. A couple of navy guys decided to jump on our boat and then proceeded to rock the boat. It frightened and freaked me out. I knew the deep cold waters and what lurked down there. The boat was fun until someone rocked and threatened to over turn it. I was afraid of sinking!

Several years ago, I was the passenger in a plane flying over Toronto and our oldest son, David was the pilot. I was really enjoying the trip until David said: “Dad, would you like to fly the plane?” As he said it, the plane banked sharply to the left . It really scared me until the plane leveled off and I could take the rudder. What was my problem in both situations? Like the disciple Peter, I was guilty of looking at my circumstances instead of looking at Jesus.

Peter walked on the water while he looked at Jesus . “But when he saw the wind”…, he began to sink. The reality in life for each of us is that IF WE WOULD FOCUS OUR HEARTS ON THE LORD JESUS, we can keep our balance in a rocking boat or experience true inner peace on a shaky plane. In daily life, we will face many turbulent experiences . The question is: will we hold fast to God in the midst of the waves?

No comments: