Tuesday, April 1, 2008

The Treadmill Triple

This insight emerged from my experience with God on March 4 at the Alliance New Worker’s Retreat. Psalm 73:23-26 so impacted and refreshed me that I decided to put these words on a 3x5 card for memorization. On my first day back home, I returned to my gym exercise routine.

On my way to the cardio part of my work-out, I heard three voices call out “Stu”. They were all persons with whom I have been building a relationship. Immediately, I walked over to the treadmill section of the gym and jumped on a treadmill machine next to Jim. Jim is not a Christian. Noticing that I was carrying my card with Bible verses on it, he asked me, “Stewart, what have you got there?”

I replied: “These are Bible verses that I am memorizing.”

He pressed further. “What does it say?”

So, I read to him these words (praying that God would use them to reach his heart):

…I am always with you;

You uphold me by my right hand.

You guide me with your counsel,

And afterward you will take me into glory.

Whom have I in Heaven but you?

And earth has nothing I desire besides you.

My flesh and my heart may fail,

But God is the strength of my heart

And my portion forever! ((Psalm 73:23-26,NIV)

The conversation that followed gave me another opportunity to talk with Jim of what it meant to establish a faith relationship with God. It reminded me of three results that I can achieve just by running or walking on the treadmill—the treadmill triple!

It starts with the opportunity for me to gain better physical health and maintain a certain level of physical conditioning. Secondly, the treadmill run gave me the opportunity to memorize some of God’s word and strengthen my spiritual health. Thirdly, that recent experience gave me a tremendous opportunity to continue my witness to Jim and help increase his understanding of God when he was open to this “knock “of God on his heart.

So, wherever you are, whatever you are doing, be alert to opportunities God has for you as well. Look for these three ways to accomplish the “treadmill triple”!

No comments: